Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Week 9 Reading Diary: Native American Hero Tales

Myth-Folkore Unit:  Native American Hero Tales

1. The Jealous Uncle-  I like how instead of addressing the problem that the uncle was a murderer and getting rid of him, they decide to let him continue being around. 
2. The Jealous Uncle (cont.)-  The story reminds me of one of the readings I did for the African section, where the baby continuously outwitted the mother and troll.  The child also reminds me a bit of Jesus in the gospels, when he comes back to find his disciples asleep.
3. The Jealous Uncle (end)-  A fitting conclusion to the story since the boy gave the uncle the same chance at life that he had.  I thought it was funny when he said he put on his eagle skin and hardened his eagle heart, for some reason the wording of that is amusing.
4. Bluejay and His Companions-  The name choices are a little confusing since usually animals are called by their name in the story but in this one men are named after animals. This is an interesting story because usually heroes are likeable characters but I do not like Bluejay at all.  I also find its funny that the other companion isn't name, almost like the token character that is killed off immediately at the beginning of a horror movie.
5. Bluejay and His Companions (cont.)-  Having taken a course that goes in depth over Native American traditions and culture, it is interesting to see different aspects of their culture, such as the sweat lodge, being used in this tale.
6. Dug-From-Ground- Why would the grandmother tell the granddaughter not to dig the root with two stalks?  From what I could tell Dug-From-Ground was very helpful.
7. Dug-From-Ground (cont.)- I've actually played shinny before and it is pretty fun, albeit it is definitely very tiring.
8. The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle- This is a very interesting origin tale and reminds me more of something from Norse mythology than it does any Native American.
9. The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle (cont.)- A very odd way to end the story, having bat lose all the feathers.  I kind of wished it concluded a bit better but it was definitely one of the most interesting origin stories I have heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment