Thursday, October 23, 2014

Storytelling for Week 10: An Old Man and his Daughter

Outside my home I sat, keeping my old hands busy with familiar work.  What was once my life's purpose now kept me busy, kept my mind from wandering to past places that were no more.  I missed those old times, when I put my trade to use and men were noble and proud.  Now men are boys, full of themselves and feminine.  My daughter, a beautiful reflection and reminder of my wife, sat by my side weaving intricate patterns and designs.  Although she was sitting next to me, her mind was somewhere far away, lost in thought.  Why she stayed with me I don't know; suitors came seeking her hand, but she waved them off like bothersome gnats during summer.
As we sat occupied with our work and thoughts something broke our silence, a footstep of someone approaching.  Out stepped a man who stood apart from those of his generation, a man whose deeds and words were of someone much older and wiser.  I knew him as a occasional customer as well as by his preceding reputation.  I welcomed him in, glad to have such good company, and my daughter did as well.

 Hands. Web Source: Imgarcade

He walked inside our home with his large stature filling the doorway, and we sat as my daughter brought refreshment for our guest. He talked for a while, my daughter entranced by our guest's every word.  This was not like his usual visits, however; he spoke with purpose, leading the conversation to the reason he was there.  He talked slowly and clearly, asking permission for my daughter's hand.  I took a moment to gather my thoughts, but I knew that this man would care for and love her. 

"You have my permission, but there is someone else who must say yes," I said looking over at my daughter.

I looked at him and then looked at her, my daughter looking even more lovely than she normally did.  She nodded and he took her hand, leading her away from our home.  I stood watching them leave, and I suddenly realized that I was alone.  I slowly sat back down outside my home, keeping my old hands and mind busy with familiar work.

Author's Note:  For this story, I used Hiawatha's Wooing from the The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  In the original telling, Hiawatha goes to an old arrow maker to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage.  After he agrees, Hiawatha and the daughter, Minnehaha, return to Hiawatha's village, leaving the old arrow-maker.  I decided to tell the story from the arrow-maker's perspective because in the original, he is left all alone when his daughter leaves apparently never to return, and is sad and lonely.  I left mostly everything the same in terms of plot progression, but I left all the names and occupations ambiguous because Hiawatha has a lot of back story and I felt like that would drag down a quick story such as this.  Also, the original doesn't mention the arrow-maker's wife, so I assumed that he is a widower.  I'll probably have to go back through and edit because I was pretty tired writing this.

Bibliography:  The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1855).  Web Source:  Untextbook

5 comments:

  1. Wow!! This in an incredible story! Please do not go back and fix anything!! I love how you made the story come full circle, beginning with him keeping his hands busy and ending with it as well. The raw emotions are absolutely incredible and stunning. I am literally flabbergasted by your work! It is writing like this that completely grabs my attention and makes the world fall around me! I could not sing higher praises of this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is very strange, but in a good way! I have never read a story like this before. I did not read the original, so I really didn't know what I was going to read. You did a great job at describing the old man and his daughter. He seems extremely upset with himself and alone despite his daughter being there. At the end he is happy for her to leave, but also sad at the same time. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris, I have already commented on your introduction from previous weeks. I think that you did a good job in telling this story and making it your own. I do think that it was somewhat weird. I haven’t read this story but I did like your version. I think that you are absolutely a great writer and your story shows this. Its always sad when you have to let go of something you hold near and dear. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,

    I think you did a great job with this story! I really like the way introduction and how it started out with some much emotion! I really liked the perspective of the story from the old man’s point of view.

    Keep up the good work with the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris, this was a very interesting story. I had never read this unit or any stories like this, so it was a cool and new thing for me. I enjoyed the story. I thought it was definitely on the sad and depressing side at this angle, but it was still quite a good read. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete