Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

Beowulf: King of the Geats
        This was the first storybook that I read and I enjoyed the content and the deeper elaboration with perspective that was not previously included in the original telling.  While I have an understanding of Beowulf, I have never personally read it but the title was direct.  The introduction was also direct in telling the topic and adding to interest.  My main complaint, which was my own fault, was that the page loaded where you could not tell there would be more to the introduction so I began reading this storybook confused since I thought it would be a journal of just Beowulf's.  Secondly, the font style was difficult to read, so while it looked like cursive writing, it also was difficult to read.

Blackbeard the Wretched Pirate
           The second storybook that I read was a little lackluster in my opinion.  While it definitely was a good storybook, I personally was bored while reading it.  Topically, I know who Edward Teach was and several of his escapades, but not really in much detail, so while this storybook was informative, it read more like a history book with some pirate catchphrases thrown in instead of a mythology or an old story.

Tales of Grimm
             This was my favorite storybook due to the author's captivating writing style and very smooth, in fact unnoticeable transitions.  The author used very familiar titles but for some reason they seemed presented very freshly.  The introduction also was engaging albeit I am not a young lass as mentioned by the author but I nevertheless it was smoothly written.  The design of the page was crisp and easy to read unlike a couple of others I read, but it was a little too plain, something more fairy tale like would have been nice.  Lastly her use of tying all of the stories together was nice and made the whole storybook feel more cohesive.

No comments:

Post a Comment