Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Reading Diary Week 13: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman)


Cat and Mouse in Partnership- I felt bad for the mouse but it was its own fault for trusting its natural predator.
The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids- I think I've read a version of this where its a witch who eats all the children save for one.  I am impressed the wolf could live after being cut open.
The Seven Ravens- WHHHHAAAAT??? The little girl nonchalantly cut off her own finger.  What's up with that?  The beginning is funny to me though because it is the exact opposite of a guy I know.  He was a 4 year starter for the Razorbacks and all he wanted was a boy but he ended up with 5 or 6 girls and he finally ended up with a boy.
Little Red Cap- I think I will finish up my storybook by telling this story from my narrator's perspective as the hunter.
The Singing Bone- An odd story but I liked it.  It reminded me of the story of Cain and Abel from the Bible, especially how the earth tells what transgressed between the two was mimicked by the bone of the brother in this one.
The Elves- I like reading these stories that I haven't heard since childhood.
Herr Korbes- What a weird story, all I could picture when I was reading this was the Wet Bandits from Home Alone.
Old Sultan- Another good story with interesting twists.  I am surprised that I have never heard it though.
Rumpelstiltskin- Its odd that the Miller's daughter seems fine marrying the king even though he threatened to kill her multiple times if she did not do an impossible task each time, it seems like she developed Stockholm Syndrome.  I also don't remember the ending being so violent where Rumpelstiltskin rips himself in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment