Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Week 3: The Odyssey




1.                   The Land of the Cyclopes
   Right off the bat this retelling of The Odyssey uses much more description than the retelling of The Iliad.  As the reading, you are swept up into the story very quickly due to the description and it transitions very smoothly into the actual events of this section.  I found Odysseus to be somewhat daft though, since he described the cyclops as being giant and terrifying yet he decides to see if he was "cruel."  To me this is like sticking my hand in a obviously hot fire to see if it would burn me.
2.                   Prisoners of the Cyclops
  I like how the story is told in hindsight by Odysseus as he comments on his own actions, I never noticed how it was told like that.  The funniest part of this section was how the cyclops first asks Odysseus and his men intend on bringing evil and then when they tell him he instead brings evil to them.
3.                   The Cyclops Defeated
  I always loved this section of The Odyssey; I still find the play on words of Nobody to be hilarious and as I read it now the revenge on the cyclops is more than just.  The cyclops's hate of Zeus is odd to me since they say Zeus provides them with rain and essentially life.
4.                   Escape from the Cyclops
   I hate reading this section because it always drove me nuts how Odysseus gloats and essentially screws himself.  However, many of us would do the same if we were in that nightmarish situation.  At first I thought the cyclops hated humans all together but it seems like the seer Telemus was on good terms with the cyclopes so I guess the cyclops just really hates Zeus.
5.                   The Curse of Polyphemus
 I felt like this section should have been divided better since part of it involves Polyphemus and the other part involves Circe's island.  I enjoyed how this transitioned though, I said it before but this translation is much better than its predecessor the Iliad.
6.                   Circe's Magic
   The preface confused me, did Odysseus encounter the cannibal Laestrygonians before or after his encounter with Polyphemus.  Odysseus's men are getting eaten left and right.  I found Odysseus's journey to Circe's odd as well: why does Odysseus need to eat Hermes's herb when he can just not eat or drink?
7.                   The Moly Defeats Circe
  It makes sense now why Odysseus ate the herb, since Circe now thinks that Odysseus is more than just a man since he resisted the drugs. I wouldn't mind being a crew member at this point since they are made taller and younger instead of the usually being eaten part.
8.                   On Circe's Island
  What is the point of Circe saying “Odysseus, of many resources, scion of Zeus, Laertes’ son?"  Is there some sort of honorific that doesn't translate well or some sort of custom for all of the extra words.  Also it doesn't say why but why do they stay at Circe's for so long?  It doesn't appear to be the same as the lotus eaters where they are tricked into staying.
9.                   The Death of Elpenor
  Some of the word choices don't make any sense, such as "fill the Groves of Persephone" or "the moist House of Hades."  As I read this section, what purpose does Elpenor's death serve?  This reading has done better in not adding random things and not telling their purpose so hopefully this plays a significant part later on.
10.               Ghosts of Erebus
  This might be a cultural thing but why would Odysseus have guard the sacrifice from powerless ghosts?  Also this section was very repetitive of the last couple since they are doing what Circe told them to do so I don't have too much to say about this section.
11.               The Ghosts of Elpenor and Teiresias
  Why did they leave Elpenor unburied at Circe's island?  I doubt it would have taken long for them to bury them before they departed.  Also it seems like they didn't even know what happened to him and just left him.  While the purpose of the blood is explained, it still seems odd why the ghost would drink the blood.
12.               The Spirit of Anticleia
  Thinking back on it now, what is the point of going to hear another prophecy when Odysseus is going to screw it up anyway?  However, I guess a lot of foreshadowing along with background story explaining is done so I could see this as a tool to explain things that the reader wouldn't know if they kept the regular first person tone of the Odyssey.
13.               The Ghosts of Famous Women
   This section was kind of pointless because it is adding characters that are not only not in the Iliad or Odyssey, but also characters that the modern reader would have no idea who they were.  So far if I could trim down any section it would be this one.
14.               The Ghost of Agamemnon
  In death Agamemnon isn't nearly as pompous as he was in the Iliad alive, but I find his death fitting and agree with his wife for killing him if he had Cassandra there for other reasons.  I am glad this section is in here because I was wondering a couple chapters back what happened to him.  Also the time of all the events here are beginning to throw me off, mainly because Odysseus is taking so long to return home.  If Agamemnon had time to return home you would think that Odysseus would be close.
15.               The Spirit of Achilles
   Why was Achilles' son not part of the Iliad, or at least a mentionable part.  According to Odysseus he seemed to be a great warrior so it's odd to me that he wasn't mentioned.  Also how did Achilles not know that his son was fighting near him?  The only thing I can think of is that death makes forget.
16.               The Ghost of Ajax
  Its becoming hard to talk about these sections since they are so short and really only describe ghosts that Odysseus sees.  This section was a little more likable though since it explains what happened to Ajax and also includes ghosts that I have an idea who they are.
17.               The Sirens, Scylla, and Charybdis
  I found this an odd place to end since Odysseus hasn't made it home yet.  However I am glad it ended with a somewhat essential part of the Odyssey instead of the part with the ghosts.  The preface was very useful for this section because it explains better why they had to go to the land of the dead.  After finishing this reading, I wish that it was made into two parts and included more and ended the epic with his return to Ithica.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment